Sunday 4 April 2010

SHY CHILD v VAMPIRE WEEKEND - REVEREND AND THE MAKERS FRONTMAN JON MCCLURE HEARS DOUBLE

NEW York electro-pop duo Shy Child may not be as immediately well known as their fellow citymen Vampire Weekend but that doesn't mean they've escaped notice.
Reverend and The Makers and Mongrel frontman Jon McClure clearly knows who they are and he's fighting their corner, whether they want him to or not.
He recently complained on Twitter that Vampire Weekend's new single Giving Up The Gun sounds like it's been "borrowed" heavily from Shy Child's 2007 release Summer.
In his actual words, posted on April 1: "Vampire weekend r robbing f****. New single is summer by shychild virtually!"
I'm not so sure.
What do you think?



Sound familiar??

1 comment:

  1. I like Reverend and the Makers (haven't they split?) but Jon's talking rubbish here. A tenuous linked theme of rusting swords in the sun and war being over by summer, but very different music and lyrics. If musicians weren't allowed to share themes there'd be about 10 songs out there; one love song, one isn't it a lovely day and 8 variations of the world sucks! Still, musically Summer does remind me strongly of something else that I can't quite put my finger on yet. This is going to drive me crazy till I remember...

    ReplyDelete