Thursday 12 August 2010

TAYLOR MOMSEN'S UK TRIP, SMALL FACES AND THE WHO IN SENTIMENTAL MOD SEASON, AIR ROADIES ARE REAL, FOALS FOR THE YOUNG, TWEETING LIBERTINES + SCARY ALICE COOPER

I KNOW Taylor Momsen’s moody teenage act fronting The Pretty Reckless is a bit much for some, but I’m hoping to judge for myself when she plays 02 Academy Islington next week (August 19). I like what I’ve heard so far. Plus, she’s the only person I know who wears more eyeshadow than me.

• Congratulations Eddie Six Strings, the first-ever female winner of the UK Air Guitar World Championships at Islington Academy on Friday. A close inspection of the rules reveals air roadies are allowed. Are there air amps to carry?



• Is it the season for Mod sentimentality? We already know about The Who’s convention at Dingwalls (October 3) but it seems the scooter brigade will be stopping off at Relentless Garage (August 15) for the Small Faces convention – billed as seven hours of 100 per cent Small Faces “Mod paradise”. As well as the usual collectable merchandise, there are six bands, some very special guests and screenings of rare footage.

• Here’s a nice touch. Foals are playing a special MTV Presents show for 14 to 18-year-olds at Dingwalls (August 25) – shame I’m a teenage lifetime away from being let in.

• I wonder how many twitter followers Carl Barat had before promising to announce a reunion date “for a little London four-piece” (hint – The Libertines) at HMV Forum on August 25 on his account this week. When I last checked, he had 2,637.

• On Tuesday, Alice Cooper hosted the scariest talent contest at London Dungeon, where he selected the great est sideshows and freaks. But why? So he can scare the hell out of ticketholders heading to his Halloween Night of Fear at Camden Roundhouse (October 31, November 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment