Friday 6 August 2010

CAMDEN LIFE FOR ELIZA DOOLITTLE - A FEAR OF CANALS, MISSING MARATHON AND THE HUNT FOR A RECORD SHOP

SINGER Eliza Doolittle has mourned the loss of record shops in Camden and called for her favourite Marathon kebab house to have its late licence returned.
Eliza, whose single Pack Up recently made Top 5 in the charts, also revealed her surprise technique to avoid being attacked when walking home by the canal and praised the redevelopment of Camden Market.

The 22-year-old singer, who was born in Camden Square but now lives in Primrose Hill, said: “One of my worst fears is walking along the canal and falling in. I always walk right along by the edge. Sometimes if I have to walk there at night I start acting like a crazy person so if someone wants to attack
me they think I’m crazy.”
She said she was happy when lights were put up near Morrisons supermarket but said: “They should have lights all the way along. It would be cool if they were neon.”
Eliza said she looked forward to ending a night out at the legendary Marathon kebab house in Chalk Farm Road – also a favourite of Amy Winehouse – and was dismayed when she discovered it had lost its late licence.
She said: “Sometimes you would find me at the Marathon bar at 2.30am. That was the only reason people went there. I'm on Marathon's side. I wish it still opened later.”
She also praised the redevelopment of Camden Market: “At first I wasn’t so keen for the market to change. I thought it was hard on the stalls but now I think what they’ve done with it is quite nice. I’m
happy someone’s done it and got a bit of taste and not stuck a huge Westfield place there.”
But, she said: “The one thing I miss about Camden is the record stores. There used to be Tower Records and there's nowhere to buy CDs. We call this the capital of music in London but now we have to go to
Oxford Street for CDs.”
She loves living in Camden, and, apart from her fears walking along the canal, has few qualms about her own safety.
She said: “I feel safe but I don’t know if it’s an illusion in my brain. When it’s home and you’re familiar with it you feel you know where you are and you can run somewhere. I’ve always felt like that in Camden.”

No comments:

Post a Comment