Saturday 3 July 2010

JARVIS COCKER IS GREYER THAN YOU THINK


IT'S been a lifelong (since I was 14) ambition to meet gangly Pulp frontman Jarvis Cocker so my dreams were fulfilled last week when he kindly posed for a photo with me at Proud Camden’s second birthday celebrations. 
I’ll spare you the evidence but must note how attentive he was to troubadour Joseph Strouzer who serenaded him with The Ballad of the Big Beautiful Woman. Jarvis – greyer than I ever imagined – signalled his approval but warned Strouzer was unlikely to get any airtime. Later Amy Winehouse did some backing dancing for Professor Green but looked pretty vacant – I blame the stifling heat.
• I’m not quite sure what happens at a convention for The Who – do people turn up dressed as the Pinball Wizard? Will a row of scooters park outside Dingwalls on October 3, when the gathering rides into Camden Town? I can’t say but I’m sure gonna check.


• Rock supergroup Them Crooked Vultures play a benefit gig at on July 5 at Brixton 02 Academy for Eagles of Death Metal bassist Brian O’Connor who has cancer and no medical insurance. No bland statements from O’Connor, thanking supporters he said: 
“I am excited for my full recovery and look forward to getting back to what I love most, melting face with my bass. I’m feeling great, after all, I am half unicorn.” Get down there if you can.
• Even if you find Devendra Banhart’s video for Foolin’ a bit too disturbing, he’ll be captivating live – see him at Koko (July 4).
• You can now stand under Koko’s legendary Hollywood-style illuminations every day as the roof terrace is officially unveiled tomorrow (Friday). It’s actually been open for a while and you may find yourself rubbing shoulders with the acts as they slip out on the terrace for a smoke – or fresh-air Camden style!

No comments:

Post a Comment