Saturday 5 March 2011

GIVE JOSH HOMME AN AWARD + VIV ALBERTINE MOCKS MUSIC HISTORY + FOO FIGHTERS CAN'T KEEP A SECRET + DJ DEREK

SO newly haloed God-like genius Dave Grohl and the rest of his Foo Fighters played a not-so-secret gig at Dingwalls on Saturday. Sadly the news missed my print deadline so best I could do was tweet it – sorry. Anyone spot Dave roaming around Camden?


On to more important things – Dave’s Them Crooked Vultures buddy Josh Homme and his Queens of the Stone Age play their debut self-titled album in its entirety at the Roundhouse (May 17) – is it wrong to prefer them to the Foo Fighters?



• Ex-Slits guitarist Viv Albertine mocked musical history at the Roundhouse’s mammoth music affair Unconvention on Saturday. In a mischievous nod to ex-boyfriend The Clash’s Mick Jones, she recorded a Clash track in 30 minutes. She told me: "I chose Train in Vain because it was written about me and I thought it would be really cheeky. Like Mick Jagger doing a cover of You're So Vain I haven't dared tell Mick as I’m not sure he would find it very amusing. It's all about what a useless girlfriend I was. We are still very fond of each other so hopefully I'll get away with it."

• One-time Cadbury’s accountant Bristol’s DJ Derek has become a bit of an icon with his patois MC skills, and choice reggae, roots and dub tunes – nevermind that he’s 68. In fact there’s a facebook page dedicated to his legendary status. Catch him at the Old Queen’s Head, Angel, (March 4).

• The Charlatans' Tim Burgess and Mark Collins play an acoustic show at the Union Chapel (March 16). Support from Blue On Blue and Joseph Coward. A low-key night out?

• Don’t forget Detroit Social Club at Monto Water Rats on Saturday (March 5).

• Ps – Does anyone have a synonyms for music for next week’s column ?

No comments:

Post a Comment